#1 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hi folks!

When I 1st got my Razr Maxx, I called Moto for help w/an email prob & one of the first things a very saavy level one support person told me to do was to use Moto's coded key-press combination to get rid of static electric build up.

It involved powering off the phone completely, holding down the up & down volume keys & then holding down the power button (seems like you'd need more hands to do this conveniently while holding your device) - until the vibrate reacted (if memory serves)... in about 5 seconds.

Anyway, since then I've rooted w/Moto_Razr_Root_Windows one step & installed the bootstrap util that was modified for the Razr (based on the Bionic bootstrapper, I believe) & now when I try that key-press combo, I get the bootstrapper menu.....

I'd like to know if this happened b/c either I forgot the proper sequence of presses (or the timing of holding two & then the 3rd) , or if bootstrapper has taken ownership of those keys... 'cuz I wanna do removal of static fm my phone - it helped last time & made it seem to be even faster - one wk ago & the techie told me that doing this once a week is a good practice.

TIA, seeker
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#2 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

I can honestly say that I've never heard that one before. The key press combo you were doing is the method for doing the hard reset, similar to a battery pull. It flushes the caches and forces the modem to reset, which can solve alot of intermittent weirdness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#3 busab

busab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

I can honestly say that I've never heard that one before. The key press combo you were doing is the method for doing the hard reset, similar to a battery pull. It flushes the caches and forces the modem to reset, which can solve alot of intermittent weirdness.

Just holding down the volume down and power button for 10 seconds does the reset. He talking about holding down both the volume buttons and the power button.

Sent from my Droid Razr using yo moma.

#4 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

Just holding down the volume down and power button for 10 seconds does the reset. He talking about holding down both the volume buttons and the power button.

Sent from my Droid Razr using yo moma.

Yep, you're right. But the key combo mentioned is the method for getting into the AP fastboot menu I think. Never heard of static discharge before.

#5 DonDraper

DonDraper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

I think someone in tech support was messing with the OP

#6 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:11 AM

I think someone in tech support was messing with the OP

Agreed. I Googled Motorola Razr Static Buildup removal and found nothing from either Motorola or anyone else for that matter. Actually the first search result that pops up is the OP here on the site.

Looks like Moto is making up functions for the Razr now. Seeker why don't you call back and ask if there's a sequence of buttons you can press that will allow you to time travel or teleport? :P

#7 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Dear folks, I don't post lightly, nor was I hallucinating when I followed Moto tech supp instruction & did that static discharge key sequence - which was done b4 I was rooted & certainly b4 I had the bootstrapper installed.

Also, please bear in mind that I originally said that device needs to be off b4 discharging.
The simulated battery pull is done w/power on & is done for when your device freezes up.

BTW, there is such a thing as undocumented features....

I was hoping to get an answer & share what did work back then....
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#8 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Apologies Seeker. We were having a bit of fun at Moto's expense and not yours. A lot of us have had bad experiences with their tech/customer support before and it's created a bit of mistrust towards the company.

I have no doubt that tech support guided you through this process and you did experience an improvement in your phone's performance. Just seems odd that it being a useful maintenance tool you'd figure one of the members would've at the very least heard of this process before. We all do thank you for sharing the information though and if anyone else gives this a shot and finds it useful please let us know.

#9 jpm

jpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. They were either messing with you or completely clueless, leaning towards the latter since usually level 1 tech support is just reading off a flowchart and doesn't really have a clue technically. I don't even see how static could 'build up' in the phone to begin with, nevermind need discharging but if you really wanted to discharge any random static buildup from your phone you could simply hold it in your bare hands and go touch the metal screws on your light switch or a cold water pipe. It will discharge any static in both you and the phone, which really won't do anything for either of you but if it makes you feel better, go crazy! ;-)

#10 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

That is simply craziness lol. Um my question is you hold volume up + volume down and power and your booting straight into bootstrap or stock recovery?

#11 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. They were either messing with you or completely clueless, leaning towards the latter since usually level 1 tech support is just reading off a flowchart and doesn't really have a clue technically.

I did say he was very saavy, fm the way he was talking, he knew & even if it was fm a script, or someone of his co-workers gave it to him... so what?

seeker
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#12 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

That is simply craziness lol. Um my question is you hold volume up + volume down and power and your booting straight into bootstrap or stock recovery?

I noted the difference after I tried to remove the static build up a week later, per the instructions I got; that it is worthwhile to use that key combo on a weekly basis.... & what I then got was the menu that allows you to go into AP Fastboot....

Just b/c it seems to be an undocumented thing, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or couldn't. I tend to agree, however, w/jpm - that one could always ground themselves while holding the device, but at this point I have lost interest since nobody else has heard of it & I don't like posts that use words like ridiculous or craziness... so I'll leave these last two replies & then either unsubscribe, or seek to remove the topic, or have one of the moderators do so...

seeker
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#13 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

Whoa simmer down there buddy. By craziness I was not saying you where crazy or directing anything like that towards you. I simply ment it was crazy, as in I've never heard of nothing like that in my whole time in Android. If this is true I would love to here moto's technical break down of it and documentation, that's all. You have taken offence to everyone's comments, which none where directed toward you. We are not making fun of you, or calling you a liar by no means. I just find it interesting that's all.

#14 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

OK, but "that's wierd" has already been said earlier in yhis thread… & a while back timewise…
seeker
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#15 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Yeah the guy at Moto must have been messing with you. That key press brings you to stock recovery wether you're rooted or not.

Plus since static is not a software function and more if a physical phenomenon, i'm pretty sure pressing buttons to remove it is physically impossible.

No one cares where this was sent from

:-D :-D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: key presses, bootstrap, Moto tech support advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users