11 replies to this topic

#1 tmaiden

tmaiden

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Last night I installed Safestrap 3.11 and had to SBF; screwed something up.

I SBF'd "

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

"
SV: 6.16.211.XT912, AV: 4.0.4, KV: 3.0.8-g29cf5e7, BN: 6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31, BD: 06/14/2012

Rooted using "

"

I would like to take advantage of Safestrap's ability to Dual Boot. I am having trouble accomplishing the following.

1. Stock ROM - What is currently installed (links above)

2. ROM Slot 2 - Any ROM!

I am having confusion with which ROMs I can install. I can easily find a ROM and follow the installation instructions. The problem that I am having is understanding the Kernal Requirements.
EX: Droid Razr ROM's for the Ice Cream Sandwich Kernel [XT912], Droid Razr ROMs for the Jelly Bean Kernel [XT912]

3. If I'm currently on 4.0.4 does that mean I have the Ice Cream Sandwich Kernel or Jelly Bean Kernel?

4. How do I switch from Ice Cream Sandwich Kernel TO Jelly Bean Kernel - OR Vise Versa?

If anyone could provide a tutorial from SBF -> Safestrap OR any detailed information on how to Setup Safestrap 3.11, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

#2 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

If you are on 4.0.4 ICS then you can run ONLY the ICS ROM's. If you update to JB, then the only ROM's you can use are the JB ROM's

If you want to run JB ROM's while staying on ICS, then you need to use the Dual Boot utility from xlightwaverx here:

Hope that helps and makes sense

#3 tmaiden

tmaiden

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Dual Boot utility from xlightwaverx

I thought Safestrap would allow me to dual boot.

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

So the answer is yes and no....from a technical perspective, yes SS allows for "dual booting" as in the PC sense. You can install multiple OS's and select which to boot from.

However, ICS roms and JB roms need the correct kernel to work. The Dual Boot utility will "flash" the correct kernel so that you can use a ROM made for that kernel.

#5 tmaiden

tmaiden

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

If you are on 4.0.4 ICS then you can run ONLY the ICS ROM's.

A Questions
  • So I'm on 4.0.4 ICS, based on the SBF I used?
  • The Kernal is a level higher then the ROM Slots? EX: Phone is using ICS Kernal, then all ROM Slots have to use ICS Kernal?
B Questions - Safestrap Order
  • SBF is located in "stock"
  • Delete "rom-slot1", mine is not available (bad rom install prior to SBF)
  • Select "Data partition size"
  • "Create ROM Slot"
  • Make Slot Active
  • "Wipe" > "Dalvik Cache", "Cache", "System", "Factory Reset"
    In that order? Wipe all them?
  • Install ROM
  • Reboot System
  • Done?
Thanks a ton btw, I'll write a tutorial and explain my confusion. I don't think I am the only person that is having difficulty with this.

#6 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

A Questions

• So I'm on 4.0.4 ICS, based on the SBF I used?
  • The Kernal is a level higher then the ROM Slots? EX: Phone is using ICS Kernal, then all ROM Slots have to use ICS Kernal?
B Questions - Safestrap Order
  • SBF is located in "stock"
  • Delete "rom-slot1", mine is not available (bad rom install prior to SBF)
  • Select "Data partition size"
  • "Create ROM Slot"
  • Make Slot Active
  • "Wipe" > "Dalvik Cache", "Cache", "System", "Factory Reset"
    In that order? Wipe all them?
  • Install ROM
  • Reboot System
  • Done?
Thanks a ton btw, I'll write a tutorial and explain my confusion. I don't think I am the only person that is having difficulty with this.

Yes. That looks correct. Wipes don't have to be in any specific order. For the ICS kernel you can only flash ICS ROMs. Same goes for jelly bean ROMs.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Posted Image

#7 RAZRMaxxXT912

RAZRMaxxXT912

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I apologize for the major NOOB question here, but I am already rooted, I used EPRJ EasyRoot ICS, which is a one click root process. Do I need to unroot and then use the Dual Boot Utility via the link cmh714 provided? When I click on the link, and says the utility roots as well as installs safestrap. That tells me to unroot my phone, and proceed with the Dual Boot Utility. Please help. Thanks in advance.

#8 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

I apologize for the major NOOB question here, but I am already rooted, I used EPRJ EasyRoot ICS, which is a one click root process. Do I need to unroot and then use the Dual Boot Utility via the link cmh714 provided? When I click on the link, and says the utility roots as well as installs safestrap. That tells me to unroot my phone, and proceed with the Dual Boot Utility. Please help. Thanks in advance.

No if you are rooted already, just use the other options in the utility to switch between kernels. Stay root-ed....

#9 RAZRMaxxXT912

RAZRMaxxXT912

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Ok, so I go to the link previously mentioned, and download the zip file, then unzip and place into the SD card, and boot the phone into AP fastboot mode?

#10 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Ok, so I go to the link previously mentioned, and download the zip file, then unzip and place into the SD card, and boot the phone into AP fastboot mode?

NO, you should read the thread.....Dual Boot is a PC utility and it will flash the kernel from PC to phone via Fastboot. No copying files to sdcard...

#11 RAZRMaxxXT912

RAZRMaxxXT912

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

I followed the thread...booted into AP fastboot mode, connected to USB, open dualboot .bat file, followed those instructions and it says "now running the stock JB 98.72.16 kernel" then booted the phone as normal, and will not boot up shows the Moto Dual Core symbol then goes off, but phone will not boot up? Did I miss something somewhere?

#12 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

I followed the thread...booted into AP fastboot mode, connected to USB, open dualboot .bat file, followed those instructions and it says "now running the stock JB 98.72.16 kernel" then booted the phone as normal, and will not boot up shows the Moto Dual Core symbol then goes off, but phone will not boot up? Did I miss something somewhere?

I believe that you are not sure what you are trying to accomplish :)

Jump into the chatroom pls...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safestrap, sbf, root, superuser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users