• Please log in to reply
1349 replies to this topic

#941 pkjeeps

pkjeeps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

Has anybody tried this with just unistalling recovery in safestrap?... I'm bout to try cause I'm at work and don't have my computer.wats worsted thing that could happen..brick it and have to have no phone at work today..maybe then I will do some work...lol

#942 MartyChubbs

MartyChubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationThe Ghetto, Minnesota

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

The OP has been updated a few times over the past few days. Please note the changes and thing's I've marked in bold as they will resolve your issues... Including retaining root. It's specifically addressed. You have to literally follow every step to the T from a clean 173 install and I promise if you do what I tell you to, you won't have issues.

The problem I kept having was when I would try to install via ROM Manager, it would prompt to install with option to back up or wipe like it was going to use cwm recovery.

So, I OTA'ed over Wifi, rooted at .744 and kept it through ICS and it was restored. Edited db to keep tether on .173. One thing I did before starting the last time was to delete clockworkmod from Internal SD and External SD.

This time Rom Manager used the Moto recovery to install. Before, it would look for CMW recovery, not see it and just restart... now I know if it prompts for options before reboot it will fail...if not, RM will use Moto recovery.

BTW, not rebooting in to Moto recovery and just restarting and deleting the ota from cache was the problem I had the WHOLE time.
I (aka Mr. Chubbs aka Marty "The Wad" Chubbs aka Knot Mehreelname ) accept no liability for the content of this post. I basically made it all up as I was typing...

#943 pkjeeps

pkjeeps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Nope..didnt work..oh well will do it the right way when I get home....knew I shoulda done it last night...lol

#944 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Any direct link to the files? No torrents allowed on me network. :(

#945 JaYvIn

JaYvIn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

Has anybody tried this with just unistalling recovery in safestrap?... I'm bout to try cause I'm at work and don't have my computer.wats worsted thing that could happen..brick it and have to have no phone at work today..maybe then I will do some work...lol

SafeStrap stops the ICS install when ROM Manager puts the phone in Recovery mode when you're still on Gingerbread. So I then uninstalled SafeStrap Recovery and uninstalled SafeStrap all together then followed the directions and ran the install through ROM Manager. The phone then installed ICS 4.0.3 successfully and VooDoo RootKeeper retained Root. Just make sure you have VooDoo retain root before doing this install process.

Next problem I had when on ICS 4.0.3 is installing SafeStrap Recovery again as SuperUser wouldn't recognize the SafeStrap Recovery install. So the fix was to go into SuperUser and update the SU Binary to version 3.0.2 simply by tapping on "Check for Updates". Then I rebooted the phone and installed SafeStrap as SuperUser was able to recognize SafeStrap this time around and granted it SuperUser permissions and installed it correctly. Rebooted the phone and Voila, SafeStrap Recovery is now working on ICS 4.0.3. Now you can run Titanium Backup as well as back up the entire ICS 4.0.3 ROM and your data afterwards within SafeStrap recovery upon boot. Awesomeness!!!

#946 sjskent

sjskent

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

For issues restoring root after this update check out this thread by PhillClinton. Note the spaces in the text as it is entered.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#947 ghoticov

ghoticov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Twitter:ghoticov

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

Used utility 1.4 to restore to stock .173, rooted it with that utility as well, saved root with rootkeeper followed instructions install went fine! Everything is working great got my root back and got wifi tether to work(let me know if anyone is interested). Camera both front and back work great. Only thing is the flash player is no longer supported for Android. I guess it still works on gingerbread. I suggest if you need help installing go to the chatbox and ask for help there, the guys will help u like they helped me :). Good luck. And much thanks to the developers!!

Did you use SQLite to edit? If so, which line did you edit?

Thanks!

#948 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Has anyone got TiBu to gain Root access?

Works fine here

#949 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Anyone got TiBu to gain Root access?

Well, if it didn't work, sounds like you haven't properly gotten root...or...have you tried toggling it in SU?

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk

#950 MrFrankRazr

MrFrankRazr

Dedicated Supporter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Well, if it didn't work, sounds like you haven't properly gotten root...or...have you tried toggling it in SU?

SU doesn't even show TB in the log. Only apps allowed shown are ES File Explorer, ROM Manager, Root Check Basic, Root Explorer & Voodo OTA RootKeeper.

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#951 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

SU doesn't even show TB in the log. Only apps allowed shown are ES File Explorer, ROM Manager, Root Check Basic, Root Explorer & Voodo OTA RootKeeper.

Try root checker.

#952 BIGBUC65

BIGBUC65

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Any one having issues with WIFI TETHER?
#TeamJordanKilroy9

#953 willypguy

willypguy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Any one having issues with WIFI TETHER?

I had issues with FoxFi. FoxFi does not work on this build.

#954 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

I used s q l light like we did on gingerbread ...change the titlement to 0 on line 150... I only tried it for 5 minutes but it worked great.. I only use it in case emergency...just like to know its there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#955 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Spotify no worky?

#956 abrarey

abrarey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:abrarey
  • LocationRound Rock, TX

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Got installed and rooted. everything seems to be working fine so far!
My only concern is that i'm getting a lot this warning on the the notification task-bar almost every time i unlock the phone:
Background Data restricted, touch to remove restriction, any ideas what's that?
Thanks!

#957 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Looks like I'll be fastbooting this weekend then...

:( I feel your pain tho I fastboot mine like 4 times trying to figure out WTH i was doing wrong. Next time i'll do things without being on the run and pay closer attention.

Got it installed but my widgets list shows only icons and a white space next to each one no text. If I hold my finger on one I can tell which one it is but all the others are still completely white. Anyone else had this issue? Search function isn't helping and I've already RSD'd back and reinstalled ics with no change.

Nothing wrong its a known issue with the build.

Anyone got TiBu to gain Root access?

Worked just fine for me. Make sure a different app that requires root is working as well. Sounds to me like you don't have root fully working. Also Ti can be picky if you haven't download Busybox from the Market and update it and the ncheck Ti

#958 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

I took a very different route to get to the same place.

Now I'm bored.

I can't imagine why people are going all the way back to 744... Just remove the two "oem" operations in the 173 fastboot xml, and RSD that.

Has anyone found a non-standard ROM that will boot with the 3.0.8 kernel and updated radio bits?

My guess: it's Verizon For You until a true OTA ICS is released. (libc not being the least of the issues) No ROM dev wants to throw a ton of time at jury-rigging a ROM for a leaked kernel, and I don't blame them.
If I lived . I'd be ~ by now.

#959 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Got installed and rooted. everything seems to be working fine so far!
My only concern is that i'm getting a lot this warning on the the notification task-bar almost every time i unlock the phone:
Background Data restricted, touch to remove restriction, any ideas what's that?
Thanks!

That's probably the Smart Actions app because you have a low battery.

#960 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Has anyone tried to update binary threw stock recovery. On the surface website they have updated zips u can flash.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users