• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Indeed both of you are correct. I tested it and it works both ways.
What I'd like to know though is if there is any way to install .79 stock leak on the safe side as well. Why?
Because I can leave the non-safe side untouched and then play with nands in the safe side (install custom roms on top on .79 on the safe side - eg simplex).
Is that possible?
Thanks guys.

Partially correct. Here's how safestrap works from the first install.

You install the apk and the recovery, you boot into the recovery.

You enable safe system, as soon as you do this, safestrap makes sort of a nand backup for the original system. You can then format /system, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, flash a custom ROM.

When you disable safe system, it makes a sort of nand backup for whichever custom ROM you flashed on the safe system.

#62 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Indeed both of you are correct. I tested it and it works both ways.
What I'd like to know though is if there is any way to install .79 stock leak on the safe side as well. Why?
Because I can leave the non-safe side untouched and then play with nands in the safe side (install custom roms on top on .79 on the safe side - eg simplex).
Is that possible?
Thanks guys.

Theoretically, you could do a nand backup of your non-safe side, do a little moving around and renaming on your sdcard and do an advanced restore of /system and /data to your safe side. That would get a stock .79 to your safe side. I don't think Hashcode recommends this though.

My question is why? Unless you are just installing a modifier or a debloat script (which I believe Simplex is), it would do you no good. The custom ROMs are going to overwrite everything anyway.
  • jb_alphamale likes this

#63 BrewGuyTim

BrewGuyTim

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Okay, the reason I couldn't get the file from above was that Firefox was timing out trying to connect. Probably has something to do with AdblockPlus and all of that. Anyway, got it through IE, downloaded, everything went smoothly. Until it came time to install SafeStrap.

The batch file says that it's installed successfully, however when I try and open it to install recovery, it says, "Unfortunately, Safestrap has stopped".

If I restart the phone, I never get prompted to enter into Safestrap.

I am stuck. :)

Thanks!

#64 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

Uninstall Safestrap through the Settimgs > Apps. Download the 2.0 apk from the Hashcodes topic in this forum and install it manually. At least that's what I'd try first.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#65 BrewGuyTim

BrewGuyTim

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Uninstall Safestrap through the Settimgs > Apps. Download the 2.0 apk from the Hashcodes topic in this forum and install it manually. At least that's what I'd try first.

Same thing happens. Perhaps root didn't proceed completely and properly? Is there an easy way to check?

Thanks!

#66 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Open the superuser app and check what's listed.
Run a different app that requires root. ie. Root Explorer

#67 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Okay, the reason I couldn't get the file from above was that Firefox was timing out trying to connect. Probably has something to do with AdblockPlus and all of that. Anyway, got it through IE, downloaded, everything went smoothly. Until it came time to install SafeStrap.

The batch file says that it's installed successfully, however when I try and open it to install recovery, it says, "Unfortunately, Safestrap has stopped".

If I restart the phone, I never get prompted to enter into Safestrap.

I am stuck.

Thanks!

If you try to launch safe strap and it immediately crashes, it means you don't have proper root access. Try rerooting. (The batch file can install safe strap without root access but the phone can't run it without root access.)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
  • BrewGuyTim likes this

#68 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

I'll try this. Thank you.

Theoretically, you could do a nand backup of your non-safe side, do a little moving around and renaming on your sdcard and do an advanced restore of /system and /data to your safe side. That would get a stock .79 to your safe side. I don't think Hashcode recommends this though.

My question is why? Unless you are just installing a modifier or a debloat script (which I believe Simplex is), it would do you no good. The custom ROMs are going to overwrite everything anyway.

#69 BrewGuyTim

BrewGuyTim

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Got it to work!

Using an amalgam of both the Droid Razr Utility 1.6 (used to restore back to .181, then rooting GB). Then going back to Combo ICS Installer .1 for the base ICS install. Then back to Razr Utility for ICS root. Manually installed Safestrap 2.0 from the SD card. Finally got to boot into Safestrap 2.0 (which hadn't worked either to this point), wiped all three, flashed KOA, then flashed Gapps...

And it all works! :)

If anyone needs me to write up exactly what I did in the exact order, I will.

#70 smdinsf

smdinsf

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

I can't seem to get past step 1. Requested download link from

E-mail comes and I click on that link *chrome and IE) goes to another page with file info and download button. When I click this button it takes me to a upload request pages and want me to request upload link. Tried 4 different times over the last 2 hours and still have not gotten the file...

Downloads:
  • Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

downloaded to your PC.
    When I get to

#71 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

I can't seem to get past step 1. Requested download link from

E-mail comes and I click on that link *chrome and IE) goes to another page with file info and download button. When I click this button it takes me to a upload request pages and want me to request upload link. Tried 4 different times over the last 2 hours and still have not gotten the file...

Downloads:
  • Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

downloaded to your PC.
    When I get to

On the page, type in your email and accept the agreement. You will receive an email with a direct download link. I know this is a gigantic annoyance... but the speed of the download out weighs this annoyance.

#72 aluislugo

aluislugo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

I'll check it out. I heard of this happening before. Atm, not sure why that happens. You may choose to try the manual method in the mean time

Not familiar with the manual method. Do you have instructions or a post for this? Thanks.

#73 john0911

john0911

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

.79 is RSD able back to .181 correct?

#74 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

.79 is RSD able back to .181 correct?

Correct.

#75 ronjons45

ronjons45

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

This may be a stupid question but i am freaking out! I followed all the instructions to install ics and now i rebooted when i was promted, however there is no progress bar!!! just the android guy with a triangle about his head it has been like this for a while now! I there somthing wrong and how do i fix it if there is?

#76 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

This may be a stupid question but i am freaking out! I followed all the instructions to install ics and now i rebooted when i was promted, however there is no progress bar!!! just the android guy with a triangle about his head it has been like this for a while now! I there somthing wrong and how do i fix it if there is?

Fast boot to .181 and restart process. Simplest way to fix.

#77 john0911

john0911

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Correct.

Thanks!

#78 aluislugo

aluislugo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

stuck at 6.12.181 with Root. Can't get ICS leak installed. Everytime I run option 2, a bunch of lines flip real fast and then nothing, no prompts, reboots etc. What's wrong? Also some said to do it manually but I don't have instructions for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#79 aluislugo

aluislugo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

stuck at 6.12.181 with Root. Can't get ICS leak installed. Everytime I run option 2, a bunch of lines flip real fast and then nothing, no prompts, reboots etc. What's wrong? Also some said to do it manually but I don't have instructions for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so i figured it out. Utility was downloaded however was not properly extracted. Anyway created folder on my desktop and extracted everything there and now it works! :D

#80 kevinl

kevinl

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

On step :

Part B: Regaining root access on ICS

I keep getting :

error: Device not found
Rebooting <1/3> - Continue once device finishes rebooting.
Press any key to continue...

The phone never reboots.

Has anyone ever ran into this?

Thanks!

Also - Root explorer works just fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ICS rom, CM9, 6.14.79, 6.14.79 Roms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users