65 replies to this topic

#41 crashdogy

crashdogy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Do’s not seem fishy to me, we all have the latest and greatest personal tracking devices. What’s fishy is they are telling us about it now. I still don’t know what piss me off more the fact I paid for the phone or that I pay mouthy to be monitored.

#42 carracerz14

carracerz14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

You're wrong, it is fishy, and it's an invasion of privacy if they can monitor your phone without them telling you and you not knowing about it. Too bad you don't have solid evidence of this as you could report them to the FCC

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

#43 B.E.McAllister

B.E.McAllister

Paint by Number Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationUT, PA
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

When you do a factory reset it'll automatically activate the phone. It tells you your phone is now activated on a screen, I'm sure that pops up on the Verizon network that's how they can tell if you did a factory reset.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#44 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

The factory reset part would be easy enough - with a factory reset you'd have to re-set up your accounts on the phone. Since you never re-set them up, VZW was able to see that your account was paired to that phone the last time you had set it up, so they knew you had not reset it then.

As for rooting, well....hmmm. That would mean that data like the IMEI and root stats (qfe check, or whatever it's called) are being sent to Moto somewhere and somehow....

#45 crashdogy

crashdogy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

You're wrong, it is fishy, and it's an invasion of privacy if they can monitor your phone without them telling you and you not knowing about it. Too bad you don't have solid evidence of this as you could report them to the FCC

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

OooN not saying it’s not BS, but with all the new laws that have been passing FCC probably would not do anything about it. As for proof they said it was in there system all calls are recorded devices had been rooted. Now believe me I act dumb as a stump when I called in. Acting like I did know anything about cell phones it caught me off guard when they said hey you rooted your device and I denyed it I was like what are you talking about.

#46 ITSBRYANN

ITSBRYANN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Twitter:itsbryandude
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

How is it not an invasion of privacy? We payed for our device,yet they 'spy' on them?
There's ways around it;)
Sent from my BlackWidow Droid Spyder
rooted RAZR runnin HDish black widow Jellybean

#47 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

You paid for the device. However, have you read the full terms of the contract of the service you're also paying for? It's not *your* 3G / 4G, it's access to it provided through your service provider.

Besides, your really want to consider privacy in the digital age? If it is digital, it can be hacked, and it will be monitored. You think your government is not already doing so?

Privacy in the digital age is a conflict of interests. You want to go digital, you better be willing to either 1) form your own government free from any restrictions of any of the current sovereign nations of the world, or 2) suck it up and expect to have no privacy whatsoever.

#48 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

You paid for the device. However, have you read the full terms of the contract of the service you're also paying for? It's not *your* 3G / 4G, it's access to it provided through your service provider.

Besides, your really want to consider privacy in the digital age? If it is digital, it can be hacked, and it will be monitored. You think your government is not already doing so?

Privacy in the digital age is a conflict of interests. You want to go digital, you better be willing to either 1) form your own government free from any restrictions of any of the current sovereign nations of the world, or 2) suck it up and expect to have no privacy whatsoever.

Absolute and perpetual digital privacy... True. Privacy when you want it that will remain secure for the near future, not difficult at all if you know what you are doing. Privacy of analog data.... Shoot anyone that overhears you or nothing... Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#49 ITSBRYANN

ITSBRYANN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

Right I just think, we should be able to do whatever we want to Our devices ya know?

Shot from my Black Widow Spyder

#50 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

While I personally agree that I think we should be able to do what we want to, to many users abused this ability on previous devices and then filed warranty claims to have them repaired b/c "they did what they wanted to and messed the device up".

#51 - JPB

- JPB

DG Mooter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNear S.J., CA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Has anybody really confirmed this? I think it's just a crap rumor. After seeing several posts from people who claimed theirs showed their phone had been rooted, but had not rooted their phone, I just checked mine. Now, I know for a fact that my phone has never been rooted because I bought it new and have not rooted it. Mine reads "1/1" which, according to the OP, means my phone is currently rooted. It is most definitely NOT.

Once again, I think this is just a crap rumor and I don't think anyone is doing the Android community any service whatsoever by repeating it without some way of backing up their claim.

So, anyone want to point the way to any actual evidence supporting this claim?

If not, then how about we stop spreading unsubstantiated rumors with no basis in fact?
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." - Arthur Schopenhauer

#52 ITSBRYANN

ITSBRYANN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I've asked Verizon, the rootchexker came with ICS update.

Shot from my BlackWidow Spyder using tapatalk 2

#53 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

It's NOT an "unsubstantiated rumor". It's a fact. However, that doesn't mean their poopty code isn't poopty. Their code is clearly broken and showing people have rooted when they haven't. This is what happens when they implement stupid things that no one cares about. You can be sure that VZW requested this moronic feature and Moto just threw it in there to satisfy them. However, since the code is so thoroughly broken if they do try any kind of "enforcement" they will likely get sued. This is also the reason for the increased security to prevent Moto phones from going from ICS back to GB. GB's recovery doesn't have this idiotic code. Nonetheless, the claims aren't baseless and they're not rumor.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#54 crashdogy

crashdogy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

You guys are missing the point; yes I sign a agreement with verzion wireless. NOT I say a gene NOT with Motorola when I got my service with verision wireless. I looked my contract over and there is nothing in it about Motorola. My post was about Motorola knowing my phone had been root.

#55 - JPB

- JPB

DG Mooter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNear S.J., CA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

It's NOT an "unsubstantiated rumor". It's a fact. However, that doesn't mean their poopty code isn't poopty. Their code is clearly broken and showing people have rooted when they haven't. This is what happens when they implement stupid things that no one cares about. You can be sure that VZW requested this moronic feature and Moto just threw it in there to satisfy them. However, since the code is so thoroughly broken if they do try any kind of "enforcement" they will likely get sued. This is also the reason for the increased security to prevent Moto phones from going from ICS back to GB. GB's recovery doesn't have this idiotic code. Nonetheless, the claims aren't baseless and they're not rumor.

If you say so, Sam. I believe you, partly because you also say it's buggy and does not function correctly, but also partly because you have never steered me wrong in the past and I trust your information. It is indeed crappy code if that is what it is supposed to do because it apparently does not work. Yes, I also agree that if they try to base any sort of legal action on this crappy code they will likely only succeed in getting themselves sued...

Thanks for chiming in. I suppose if I want actual evidence I will have to hunt it down for myself, but to be honest, I really just don't care that much...
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." - Arthur Schopenhauer

#56 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

If you say so, Sam. I believe you, partly because you also say it's buggy and does not function correctly, but also partly because you have never steered me wrong in the past and I trust your information. It is indeed crappy code if that is what it is supposed to do because it apparently does not work. Yes, I also agree that if they try to base any sort of legal action on this crappy code they will likely only succeed in getting themselves sued...

Thanks for chiming in. I suppose if I want actual evidence I will have to hunt it down for myself, but to be honest, I really just don't care that much...

Yea I no longer have the links available for when this crap was first discovered. But there was a lot of discussion and the heavy weights in the moto community researched the crap out of it to see if it could be reset/defeated/etc. The thing is annoying as it's stored in some part of non-user writable parts of the phone. In any case, it's highly useless code as it clearly doesn't work right.

#57 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

Part Time Mountain Sage, Part Time Village Idiot

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 5

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Yea I no longer have the links available for when this crap was first discovered. But there was a lot of discussion and the heavy weights in the moto community researched the crap out of it to see if it could be reset/defeated/etc. The thing is annoying as it's stored in some part of non-user writable parts of the phone. In any case, it's highly useless code as it clearly doesn't work right.

Worse it's used to incriminate.

Yeah, I ran leaks on my phone. I've never rooted it, but alas mine shows as being rooted...

My wife's phone conversely is as pure as the wind driven snow. It has never been rooted, leaked, or anything of the sort. Yet it shows as being rooted.. WTF?!?
"Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
- J. Michael Straczynski

#58 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

That was the point I was making. Their code sucks. It's clearly heavily broken so there's no way they can try to enforce anything simply based on that readout in recovery. If they tried, they would be sued.

#59 ITSBRYANN

ITSBRYANN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Sent from my BlackWidow Droid Spyder using tapatalk 2