3711 replies to this topic

#2461 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

Whatever is easiest for you will be fine.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Non potest esse nisi unus

#2462 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

OK - here you go. Feel FREE to remove, move, edit, and NOT USE at all, if it is not what you were looking for:

Bionic Activation Screen Bypass/Workaround

First: Thanks to the devs and helpers that make playing with these things so much fun, and (relatively) safe. I have found if I read and follow instructions, I can do just about anything with my phones and have yet to end up some where I couldn’t get back from. Help is always there and the cost of entry is an open mind and respect.

Second: My need is specific and may / may not help you. So read carefully.

Last: If you got this far with your phone, you probably already know about all of the disclaimers, etc. But that said – from here on, you’re on your own. If you damage, you’re fault, etc.

Background:
You may have used HoB to wipe your phone and start over. In my case, my Bionic at this time is a “backup” and I have no SIM card. I wanted to set it up and play with it but it kept asking for activation. Used to be the 4 corner trick would work – it does not now. I looked for various ways to use ABD, etc. to bypass – there are many. None of them worked for me.
I found a way to be able to play with the phone, without all of these “code” changes or tricks. So, this is a start.
These methods will likely work on other 4G phones too – and it’s easy to check.
ALSO – not being activated turns of some functionality, again not a big deal given my objectives (which are simple).

The START:
Use HoB to get wipe and start over. You can root the phone right away as well.
At this point, when you start up the phone it will try to activate. THIS is the point at which I could go no further.

The HOOK:
While sitting there cursing the phone and goggling/asking for help, I noticed some things:
1. The drop down menu and the SETTINGS icon were available to me.
2. When settings menu was touched, the whole menu was available to me.
3. This means – you can turn on WIRELESS. And you can set up a GOOGLE ACCOUNT.

The Workaround:
This seems almost too easy – but once done you’ll have just about all of the basic device functionality – browser, music, play stuff, games, etc. No SMS or Calls as there if no data connection (there may be a way to do this). I also did not try google talk or skype, but if you have internet, this probably would work.

Steps:
1. Boot phone, get to the first screen – Language Selection.
2. Activate the drop down menu.
3. Select WIRELESS and connect.
4. Go to accounts, and create your GOOGLE account (I used existing because I have all my goodies on it).
5. Use the back button to return to Settings menu, or the Language home screen.

6. Wait a few seconds. The phone will now do what it was born to do – it will attempt to UPDATE the software on the phone. The updating process makes GOOGLE PLAY available in the notification drop down! Once you click on the notification, PLAY will open. Once in PLAY, you can begin to build a usable platform. The phone does NOT have to be activated to do this.

7. Launcher: The activation problem will not allow you to pass through to the launcher. SO, put another one on. I used APEX. Install it. Open it. You now have access to just about all normal functions.

8. Root Explorer, Astro, or another file reader / editor – install one. Titanium Back up……. And so on.

At this point – just about everything works as stated above. One thing that did NOT work for me at this point was file transfer between computer and phone. I tried all modes, it would not read. I’ll try another computer to see if it works, but I won’t count on it.

NOTES:

The buttons work a bit differently for the launcher – play around to get your feel for the differences. It doesn’t bother me, but you may need something.

If you work your way back to the LANGUAGE screen and it looks for reactivation – no issues, but restart your phone – at this point, GOOGLE PLAY will likely check your programs and attempt to update. When it does – DON’T UPDATE, just get into PLAY as above, scroll down for APEX, tap it, OPEN IT, and you’re back to your starting point!

To load music, I use MUSIC, and download to the phone – this makes the phone portable as an MP3 player until you find another hotspot.

Summary: This works for a very specific need – hopefully you won’t need it. Maybe it may give you some other ideas too.
  • SamuriHL and matjmonk like this

Proud father of a US Marine

#2463 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Nicely done!

DROID BIONIC on 246. Lord, be with Altspeed and his wife and Grettski and his wife. Heal them quickly!

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#2464 mjs27541

mjs27541

I have no idea what's going on...

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD
  • Current Device(s):LG G2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

Nice work. I don't think I'd ever have that specific problem, but I always find it interesting reading about how people troubleshoot their issues. And like john Galt said, you never know when this may come in handy to someone else.

Sent from my HoB'd Safestrapped AOKP'd OC'd bada-- Bionic

#2465 peacefulwarrior26

peacefulwarrior26

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Ok, here goes my first question/post to this forum... I am currently running 905 and had but subsequently removed bootstrap recovery. I was also rooted but an OTA update seems to have removed root. I have titanium backup installed but when I run it I get the message that it can't run because I am not rooted.

The OTA update and SD direct updates to 246 fail becuase of the files that bootstrap recovery left behind (I know this because I was able to google the error message I got and Found a post that SAM posted indicating that Bootstrap recovery was the culprit with the failed update). So, my plan is to us HoB (and I am all geared up to do that but I'm just thought I would ask a couple of quick questions first) BTW read probably 400 posts in the other forum (3 hours or more) and I really can't afford the time to go thru the 2,000 posts here so I would like to apologize in advance for my newbe questions.

1) Is there a quick way to get a full backup - I guess this would mean re-rooting my 905 phone
2) is there any reason why I wouldn't use RSD over fastboot?
3) I don't have any music on my SD card but will photos (roughly 700 of them0 slow up the install and therefore I should move them off?

I think that is everything. thanks in advance for any suggestions and again sorry for the stupid questions.

Peter

#2466 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

1) You'd have to re-root the phone, yes, and the method I include with the HoB doesn't work on 905. You'd have to use motofail-gb.
2) If RSD works for you, by all means. It's the method I choose to use myself.
3) It might not hurt. Plus that'll give you a backup of them which you should have with that many pics anyway. :)

#2467 peacefulwarrior26

peacefulwarrior26

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Wow! quick response!! Thanks Sam! I'll google motofail-gb now!

#2468 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

NP. Good luck!

#2469 peacefulwarrior26

peacefulwarrior26

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm happy to report that I successfully installed 246 ICS to my Bionic so another happy HoB customer! However, the RSD window never closed, it is still saying "Please manually power up this phone" and the HOB screen's last entry is "Flashing HouseOfBionic_RADIO.xml 1 file(s) copied.

The phone has been updating apps and downloading e-mail etc for some time now so I hate to reboot it but I'm thinking I probably should do that to allow HoB and RSD to complete right?

Thanks!

Peter

#2470 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Odd. RSD never detected that the phone booted up. You can safely kill the RSD window and the HoB will be finished.

#2471 peacefulwarrior26

peacefulwarrior26

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Ok, thanks!

#2472 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

Odd. RSD never detected that the phone booted up. You can safely kill the RSD window and the HoB will be finished.

I've only had RSD lite detect that my phone had rebooted once. I learned a long time ago that once the phone started loading the actual OS to kill it....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#2473 Dave12308

Dave12308

"The Don"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY - 518 Represent!
  • Current Device(s):Motorola X 2014 (AT&T - Biggest MISTAKE! i've EVER made), ASUS Padfone X (Thanks, Kaos!)

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

I've only had RSD lite detect that my phone had rebooted once. I learned a long time ago that once the phone started losing the actual OS to kill it....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I have found (at least with my setup) that the ONLY time RSD lite would detect a reboot is if I forced it to reboot into Fastboot instead of booting normally. I believe that is because it is technically waiting for the Fastboot device to reconnect.

#2474 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

I've never had a problem with it. Odd.

#2475 peacefulwarrior26

peacefulwarrior26

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi! Ever since I upgraded my bionic from 905 to ICS (246) I've been seeing a very strange problem. I've googled it every which way I can think of but so far I haven't been able to solve it and would appreciate any suggestions or pointers. The problem I have is I keep getting the notification "Low on Volume space -- internal storage space is getting low". according to the settings/apps I have 259MB of internal storage. My understanding is that the problem is not my external SD card but the internal SD card that is used to hold applications and application data. I've deleted probably 25 apps (all of the ones that it said were using up lots of memory) and I have also removed a ton of photos from my external SD card becuase I suspect that the snapshots of the photos was taking up internal SD space. I read that if you use GPS a lot there might be a ton of files in data\data but I don't know where to look there (I am rooted and have a rooted file explorer). Also, I strongly suspect that my problem might be cached Google Music becuase Titanium backup shows Google Music is very large but I have not been able to find the director where those files are either. Part of my problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to get a folder size in ES Explorer.

Anyway, I would very much appreciate any suggestions or ideas as I am pretty much out of ideas at this point. BTW after deleting the pictures I mused MoB to erase the cache but 10 minutes after the phone rebooted I still recieved the low volume message.

thoughts?

thanks!

#2476 mjs27541

mjs27541

I have no idea what's going on...

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD
  • Current Device(s):LG G2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

You can try moving your Titanium Backup files to your external SD card, they take up a bunch of space.

Sent from my HoB'd Safestrapped AOKP'd OC'd bada-- Bionic

#2477 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Are you running safestrap with multiple rom slots set up? You can also download disk usage or SD maid...

sent from my icy bionic
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#2478 smalldroid34

smalldroid34

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Current Device(s):bionic

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi! Ever since I upgraded my bionic from 905 to ICS (246) I've been seeing a very strange problem. I've googled it every which way I can think of but so far I haven't been able to solve it and would appreciate any suggestions or pointers. The problem I have is I keep getting the notification "Low on Volume space -- internal storage space is getting low". according to the settings/apps I have 259MB of internal storage. My understanding is that the problem is not my external SD card but the internal SD card that is used to hold applications and application data. I've deleted probably 25 apps (all of the ones that it said were using up lots of memory) and I have also removed a ton of photos from my external SD card becuase I suspect that the snapshots of the photos was taking up internal SD space. I read that if you use GPS a lot there might be a ton of files in data\data but I don't know where to look there (I am rooted and have a rooted file explorer). Also, I strongly suspect that my problem might be cached Google Music becuase Titanium backup shows Google Music is very large but I have not been able to find the director where those files are either. Part of my problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to get a folder size in ES Explorer.

Anyway, I would very much appreciate any suggestions or ideas as I am pretty much out of ideas at this point. BTW after deleting the pictures I mused MoB to erase the cache but 10 minutes after the phone rebooted I still recieved the low volume message.

thoughts?

thanks!

Try Solid Explorer Beta, its a free app, imo the best file manager. I had this message once and i wasnt low on space, dont know why though. But definatly try Solid Explorer
Stock-Eclipsed/S1-Wizzed/S2-Synergized/S3-Blurred

#2479 peacefulwarrior26

peacefulwarrior26

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Thank you! the problem was definately Google Music - it had 2GB's of music stored on my internal SD card. I was able to find a discussion about moving the music to your external SD card but so far I have not been successful with the instructions. For anyone else coming along here is a pointer to the discussion. Thanks again for the help/suggestions!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2480 milski65

milski65

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Twitter:milski65

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

Thank you! the problem was definately Google Music - it had 2GB's of music stored on my internal SD card. I was able to find a discussion about moving the music to your external SD card but so far I have not been successful with the instructions. For anyone else coming along here is a pointer to the discussion. Thanks again for the help/suggestions!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I use astro file manager to move stuff. Very easy. Open app, storage 1 is internal, open it, scroll to music file, hard press, hit move icon at bottom, back out once, scroll to storage 3 (that's my xternal) open it, and hit paste button. Music will now be on external sd. Pm me if you have any issues.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HoB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users