• This topic is locked This topic is locked
542 replies to this topic

#461 D Stave

D Stave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Can we do this from .215 or do we have to go back to .211?

#462 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Need to go back to .211

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#463 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Check this out also

Jellybean Rolling Out for the Original Verizon DROID RAZR! **How to Keep Root**

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#464 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Check this out also

DROID RAZR Jellybean Update - 98.72.8 - Questions and Answers

You know that link is this thread right?? :P :ph34r: :blink:
  • kr8os71 and bradenfontaine like this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#465 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

You know that link is this thread right?? :P :ph34r: :blink:

LOL!!! oops, silly clipboard :D

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#466 nothing0

nothing0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED.

I followed everything, temp unrooted, etc......It ran the update no problem. When it booted, I had SU icon. I restored root, BUT DON'T HAVE ROOT ACCESS.
If I hit SU, VooDoo is listed there, but if I hit update binaries, it d/l's them, then fails when getting root access

I even tried that RestoreRoot.zip from MattG, and it just fails??

Any ideas?? HELP(Also, SU I can't uninstall (was going to reinstall it?, just a stab in the dark, but it's there to stay, just to working?)

THANKS...S

I didn't see this at first. Works perfectly.

I can't update binary though. Thoughts?

#467 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I didn't see this at first. Works perfectly.

I can't update binary though. Thoughts?

What is the problem updating?? When I did it I could do the binary update and it would say successful but on the info page it was still the old number. A reboot fixed it and I continued on

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#468 spyder

spyder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

What is the problem updating?? When I did it I could do the binary update and it would say successful but on the info page it was still the old number. A reboot fixed it and I continued on

Well, I lucked out and have a month of Warranty left, as I now need a new phone.....I didn't even realize at the time of this post that only root was lost, but the following is TOTALLY NOT WORKING:
1. IT WILL NOT RING FOR ANY INCOMING CALL
2. NO ALARM SOUND
3. Can't play ANY MUSIC via the stock player (3rd party apps do play them)
4. Can't play ANY VIDEO via the stock player (Same, 3rd party apps do play), this INCLUDES video taken witht the phones camera
5. When on a phone call, incoming calls start out ok, but if put to speaker, can't go back.
6. ALL OUTGOING CALLS: LOUD AS A ROCK CONCERT - The speaker button does nothing

So....After an hour w/ Verizon Tier II techs, ended up having to send me a new one..Since you can't roll back (I must admit I white lied and said I got the update from them, and they did admit it was released like that for a short time)...

NOW THE QUESTION: TOMORROW, when I get the replacement......Anyone think I should give it another try, or just hang loose for the overall OTA to arrive?

BTW: When that does come, it's that prompt on the screen, can you keep that up there while opening up Voodoo and doing the keep root thing, or do you have to hit "Later", and hope you don't go to the end of the line. I hit later when ICS came out, and then "Check Updates" didn't give it up, put me in the next round I guess....A tier II tech at the time gave me a big code to type into the dialer, that shoved you to the front of the line....I can't find it now to save my life, but IF needed, I'm going to ask about that

Anyway, IF I TRY with the replacement....They will know what's up, BUT, I guess since it did come from them, they would support it....

OH, Also, even though root does not work, Verizon shows that it is rooted and they did give up the Warranty replacement anyway..

My thinking is leave it be, the changes are not that big of a deal....only the principle, plus the OTA when arrives I'm sure will be de-bugged much more

Well....ALL THOUGHTS ARE REALLY APPRECIATED.....THANK YOU....S

#469 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Wasn't screenshot "power/volume down" together?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

yep, I had a brain freeze, it's alright Thanks

#470 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Well, I lucked out and have a month of Warranty left, as I now need a new phone.....I didn't even realize at the time of this post that only root was lost, but the following is TOTALLY NOT WORKING:
1. IT WILL NOT RING FOR ANY INCOMING CALL
2. NO ALARM SOUND
3. Can't play ANY MUSIC via the stock player (3rd party apps do play them)
4. Can't play ANY VIDEO via the stock player (Same, 3rd party apps do play), this INCLUDES video taken witht the phones camera
5. When on a phone call, incoming calls start out ok, but if put to speaker, can't go back.
6. ALL OUTGOING CALLS: LOUD AS A ROCK CONCERT - The speaker button does nothing

So....After an hour w/ Verizon Tier II techs, ended up having to send me a new one..Since you can't roll back (I must admit I white lied and said I got the update from them, and they did admit it was released like that for a short time)...

NOW THE QUESTION: TOMORROW, when I get the replacement......Anyone think I should give it another try, or just hang loose for the overall OTA to arrive?

BTW: When that does come, it's that prompt on the screen, can you keep that up there while opening up Voodoo and doing the keep root thing, or do you have to hit "Later", and hope you don't go to the end of the line. I hit later when ICS came out, and then "Check Updates" didn't give it up, put me in the next round I guess....A tier II tech at the time gave me a big code to type into the dialer, that shoved you to the front of the line....I can't find it now to save my life, but IF needed, I'm going to ask about that

Anyway, IF I TRY with the replacement....They will know what's up, BUT, I guess since it did come from them, they would support it....

OH, Also, even though root does not work, Verizon shows that it is rooted and they did give up the Warranty replacement anyway..

My thinking is leave it be, the changes are not that big of a deal....only the principle, plus the OTA when arrives I'm sure will be de-bugged much more

Well....ALL THOUGHTS ARE REALLY APPRECIATED.....THANK YOU....S

Dual boot.

• bradenfontaine likes this
Posted Image

#471 nothing0

nothing0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I got it. I had to delete the su from the keep root tool and dl the new one from the play store. Then a couple reboots and all is well.

Thanks

#472 runner1717

runner1717

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

The ONLY issue I've found is when pushing the dialer keys inputting numbers I get an echo. That's it. Great rom!

Mike

#473 dmlsthe1

dmlsthe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Wasn't screenshot "power/volume down" together?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Yes if you only hold it for two second but if you hold it too long (i think 10 seconds) than it hard reboots it

Sent from DDRMaxx using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#474 possnfiffer

possnfiffer

ROLLER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO
  • Current Device(s):XT912-CDMA/LTE

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Any hope for MIUI now that we have JB ?

I UZED restore root .sh on linux and whala got root back :)

YeLcxY9.jpg

#475 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Any hope for MIUI now that we have JB ?

I UZED restore root .sh on linux and whala got root back :)

Not unless JB comes with an unlocked bootloader. :blink:

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#476 josiebro

josiebro

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hey guys, any word on a JB root?
I skipped 1 crucial step in updating my RAZR to JB and I have lost root. I'm just itching to get on some ROM-flashing goodness!

:'(

#477 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hey guys, any word on a JB root?
I skipped 1 crucial step in updating my RAZR to JB and I have lost root. I'm just itching to get on some ROM-flashing goodness!

:'(

pretty sure it's being worked on since a $ bounty has been offered.
Posted Image

#478 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

pretty sure it's being worked on since a $ bounty has been offered.

I will be looking at it more tomorrow night when I get home from work. I know spjester has been working like crazy on it. I don't have a RAZR so it is hard for me to test some of my theories lol. The bounty would be nice but I just want people to have root again.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Nitewolf likes this

#479 spyder

spyder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

The BIGGEST Kick in the A#$, with getting root retained from ICS, is that any issue, you CAN't "Roll Back", and give it another run.....Once you run the JB, that's it.

MINE: NOW: 100% PERFECT WHAT I WANT - Jellybean, Rooted, etc....BUT: I had to get a Warranty replacement phone in the process. The JB update was a MESS, wouldn't ring for calls, during a call it was ALWAYS speakerphone.......BUT, as I think I mentioned above, NOTHING ELSE had any volume, notifications, alarm, etc......The Music player crashed, wouldn't even play video, let alone have volume. (Now, 3rd party apps DID WORK, but don't want to rely on just that).

LONG STORY, BUT, After flashing SEVERAL TIMES, I ran tht "Unbrick" zip that Matt put out, did some factory wipes, reflashed, I GOT IT TO WORK.....BUT TOTALLY LOST ROOT, but actually by that point the replacement was on the way. ( REALLY REALLY LUCKED OUT), The Warranty expired in November, BUT, just for kicks, since I had another year of contract, but Warranty was up, I "White Lied" (Well, more like grey), and goofed it, so I could get a "Fresh" phone before the Warranty ran out. WELL, Now that it really was messed up (even though I did the flashing, etc. IT DID COME FROM VERIZON, and appeared to me on my pnone...although it failed and I loaded it via recovery, they didn't know that)....SO, by me getting that "Fresh Phone", actually gives you another 3 months of warranty on the replacment, so I was able to get it. They did NOT give me a hard time, or even mention about it havinging being rooted, I did tell them it WAS NOT.....but that was after all the blah blah to get the new.

ANYWAY, NOW FRESH PHONE IN HAND....I was going to just wait for the next official OTA....BUT IT WAS DRIVING ME CRAZY to have it, and not give it a go....So I took it, rooted it, and applied the zip.
ISSUE: VooDoo - DID NOT WORK. I followed Matt's list to the letter. NOPE.....Now, same as the "Mess" pone, it didn't work either, aside form all the other issues.....I couldn't get it to root....BUT:

That "RestoreRoot.zip" file that MattG put out, worked like a charm. Also, FYI, It worked like a charm with the goofed. one, BUT, with all those other problems...I needed a new one regardless.

SO...Sorry all the scatter brain stuff here....THE BOTTOM LINE IS:
1. When doing the 1st flash, nothing but problems, although it did "Takie". The issue list was endless, even the vertical/horizontal switch didn't work. SO many tings. VooDoo didn't hold root ....(BTW: ANYONE KNOW about the "Temp Un-Root", & "OTA Root Save" options within SuperUser app ????)
2. Running the "RestoreRoot.zip" DID give root back, but the phone was a mess.
3.. Got the new phone, totally fresh, didn't do a thing except "BatMan" root, and install VooDoo..
4. Did the VooDoo Procedure, EXACTLY AS OUTLINED.
5. Flashed JB.
6. Fully successful, no problems I've found to this point. BUT ROOT WOULD/DID NOT RESTORE. (Strange, that SU was still there, AND VooDoo was the only app listed in there).
7. Ran "ResoreRoot.zip" - Unsuccessful...I Did this WITH the FACTORY CABLE, so figured I was screwed, and had JB, but wouldn't have root, even MattG I saw had written that it would probablly be quite a way down the road....
8. Anyway, just I have no idea why, but tried it with the cable I normally use....BINGO....Worked like a charm, IDK why the actual Moto cable didn't work, but this one did, but no clue, I'ld have to pin out and check each...But just like with the messed up phone, when running the app, I got 5-10 "Error" looking mesages, "this/that not found", etc......BUT, IN THE END: ROOT !!!!!

9..So, Again, I know this is scatterbrained and appologize, alot on my mind, BUT I'll say one thing I think to be critical:
IF YOU LOOSE ROOT, VooDoo doesn't hold it. DO NOT go and start changing things (Binaries, etc), leave it all alone untill you try the zip file, since work of genius, totally saved me.

SO, I now have it on JB, no problem, and it's rooted, no issues.

Unortunately, the ONLY VERY SERIOUS ISSUE is, during this time, until there is a Root solution for JB. IF anything happened that would require a "Wipe" and reinstallation, (Knock wood).....Doubtful, BUT, it would need reflashed, whatever. Since it's impossible to "Roll Back" to ICS to do the root. You would be stuck, so personally I guess I would recommend being a bit cautious.

Well, that about wraps it all up....I willl apologize again for my LONG post which is really just scatter. I'm really just a bit "Off".

That said, I'll leave it as is....Personally, I'm thrilled, JB/Rooted/Running like CHARM.
I also put in a 32 GB Class 10 SD.

With NO Tweaking or anything, not even SD read ahead cache or antyhing....Benchmark on Antutu is around 8100

Any comments welcome, and any questions I would be happy to share anyting I did/goofed, maybe save someone some trouble.

HAVE A GREAT DAY......S

#480 dunderhead

dunderhead

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Interesting post spyder. Voodoo didn't work for me either, and I ultimately had to do a complete data wipe and reinstall (not to mention reconfigure) every app. It's been quite a nightmare, but everything phone-wise seems to be working fine now, well, except I don't have root. It drove me crazy at first, but I'm just being patient now and waiting. Hopefully a JB root solution will be out soon.

For anyone that's on the fence and isn't sure about updating, just wait. The enhancements from ICS to JB pale in comparison when going from the major releases of GB to ICS.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

• spyder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users