• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#241 neOwb

neOwb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I apologize if this has been asked but... if I took the plunge too early and am on the jb leak, can I use this in reverse and boot the .211 kernel so as to still get some cm 10.1 goodness? I miss cm.... anyone done this yet?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#242 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

No. Sorry.

X

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#243 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Correct, FB mode is only used to flash the kernels.

Sent fm my Eclipse'd XT912 using Xparent Tapatalk Blue 2

Thanks, Cyrors, at least I know why it failed b4, as I said I tried it on both sides… I guess

Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#244 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thanks, Cyrors, at least I know why it failed b4, as I said I tried it on both sides… I guess

sorry folks, lost connectivity for a bit…
I was saying I guess that there'd have been less confusioneif that was stated somewhere here or in the util… guess I'm spoiled by hashcode's gr8 new safestrap, haven't needed to do fastbooting for a while & I didn't recall this aspect fm b4… than again

Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#245 droidrazr99

droidrazr99

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Can't right click the file and run as admin? I had 8 for a short time and absolutely hated it so went back to 7

Windows 8 is ridiculous I was just trying to run a script 2 uninstall a group of Apps from win.store and i might have missed the obvious thank you

#246 chipworkz

chipworkz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hey xlight, first it seems to be somewhat understated just how great this utility is and I am surprised there isn't more references to it on the net. Great job to you, Mattlgroff and SubZero2000.

I have a question which is, It has been talked about that this JB leak is really using a modified ICS kernel and that this utility is able to do what it does because of the kernels being basically the same (if I am stating that correctly) so if the official OTA that comes out uses an actual JB kernel, will this utility or a modified version of it still work? Just wondering if the utilities methods to make it work are going to allow us to jump on the OTA release if it has a different kernel or not. If not, then I hope that fastboot files and a root exploit are out soon after the release.

Thanks again for an assume job on this!

#247 Ahowe125

Ahowe125

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Twitter:Ahowe125
  • Google+:Aaron Howe
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):VZW HTC One, Nexus 7

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Very cool stuff here! Thanks xlightwaverx and anyone else who worked on this. I got my new/used Maxx the other day to replace my OG Razr, and it already had a fresh .211 on it, so I decided to give this a shot and install a new JB kernel ROM. Let me say its a very simple process and I had no issues at all. Used your utility to Root the .211, then installed SS 3.11 (which is awesome by the way, first time using the new type of SS) then created the 3gb slot and installed my ROM. Booted to AP fastboot, loaded the JB kernel then booted the ROM. Simple as ever.

Great job to all involved, and thanks again. What an awesome way to get the JB without leaving ICS for now.

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4 |

#248 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

This is what I did. And it's working great.
1. Went to my stock ICS Rom slot.
2. Uninstalled SS 3.07. Then installed SS 3.11
3. Power off the phone, and put it into AP fast boot mode.
4. Open up the dual boot utility, plug the data cable into my phone, then computer.
5. Select option 3 for the JB kernal. Took about 8 seconds to flash.
6. Power up the phone, and go into SS recovery, make a Rom slot, if you haven't already, and flash the JB Rom if your choice.
7. Profit, and be happy :-)

On Number One (1) you mentioned you noted Stock/ROM Slot...

Its 2 different meanings Which one do I choose Stock or a ROM Slot?

My understanding so I don't Brick my Phone its done in a ROM Slot, Not Stock to keep your phone Solid...

Its Bubba

Its Bubba...."Stubborn In Your Bones"

#249 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think he just meant boot to the stock rom. Go back to stock and do it there.

#250 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think he just meant boot to the stock rom. Go back to stock and do it there.

That explains why its not working...So Utility creates the Duel boot in Stock not ROM Slot...then SS to flash into Jelly Bean or ICS chosing your Slot of Choice...

Its Bubba

#251 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Twitter:nukeruss
  • Google+:nukeruss
  • LocationPalmyra, PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx XT912

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

You should boot to stock ICS (Stock ROM Slot selected in safestrap if you already have an older version of safestrap installed) and install safestrap 3.11.

*If this is your first time using safestrap version 3.xx then you should

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

If it's not your first time, I would just download the apk from the safestrap thread and install it that way. After you install the app, open it and apply the update. While your still on stock, you might as well download the JB ROM that you are planning on installing in safetstrap. Then reboot into safestrap, select the rom slot you are going to use and then install the ROM. Then put your phone in AP Fastboot mode and switch to the JB Kernel. Now you can boot up the JB Rom.

The links to everything you need are embedded within Post #70 with more detailed instructions.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
  • stealthmouse likes this

#252 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

No, you need to go to the stock ROM to install/uninstall SS. The dual boot kernel of your choice has to be flashed in AP Fastboot to the ROM slot of your choice, any time you make a kernel change, i.e. from ICS to JB or vice versa. Not needed if you are going JB-JB or ICS-ICS, or flashing new ROM but of same kernel.

You flash the slot you're going to, but the change persists for all slots and stock, until you flash again. If you end up in black space, hard reboot into recovery and go back to previous slot.

Sent from my Droid Spyder using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

• SpyderMan and The Persuader like this
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#253 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Hey xlight, first it seems to be somewhat understated just how great this utility is and I am surprised there isn't more references to it on the net. Great job to you, Mattlgroff and SubZero2000.

I have a question which is, It has been talked about that this JB leak is really using a modified ICS kernel and that this utility is able to do what it does because of the kernels being basically the same (if I am stating that correctly) so if the official OTA that comes out uses an actual JB kernel, will this utility or a modified version of it still work? Just wondering if the utilities methods to make it work are going to allow us to jump on the OTA release if it has a different kernel or not. If not, then I hope that fastboot files and a root exploit are out soon after the release.

Thanks again for an assume job on this!

I +1 your first point.

If we get an official OTA JB build/kernel that can be flashed in recovery, there won't be a lot of reason for this until the next transition, since the primary purpose of it is to allow for return to stock without relying on MOT or VZW to release a new OTA.

But I can imagine xlight's clever hack can have other uses as well.....

Sent from my Droid Spyder using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#254 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

You should boot to stock ICS (Stock ROM Slot selected in safestrap if you already have an older version of safestrap installed) and install safestrap 3.11.

*If this is your first time using safestrap version 3.xx then you should

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

If it's not your first time, I would just download the apk from the safestrap thread and install it that way. After you install the app, open it and apply the update. While your still on stock, you might as well download the JB ROM that you are planning on installing in safetstrap. Then reboot into safestrap, select the rom slot you are going to use and then install the ROM. Then put your phone in AP Fastboot mode and switch to the JB Kernel. Now you can boot up the JB Rom.

The links to everything you need are embedded within Post #70 with more detailed instructions.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Nukeruss,

I was thinking everything was done in Slots to protect Stock...

I was doing everything thru ROM Slots...Installing the New 3.11 Safestrap when it was first release was Okay No Issues...When It mentions Duel Boot I was expecting 2 Field Squares (One ICS) the other (Jelly Bean)...Click your choice to boot to to Flash either ROM choice to ICS or Jelly Bean...

Do you alway have to go back to Stock to change from Jelly Bean to ICS than Vice Versa...

Its Bubba

#255 dmlsthe1

dmlsthe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Thank you Nukeruss,

I was doing everything thru ROM Slots...Installing the New 3.11 Safestrap when it was first release was Okay No Issues...When It mentions Duel Boot I was expecting 2 Field Squares (One ICS) the other (Jelly Bean)...Click your choice to boot to to Flash either ROM choice to ICS or Jelly Bean...

Do you alway have to go back to Stock to change from Jelly Bean to ICS than Vice Versa...

Its Bubba

You only have to go to stock when updating ss. If you are in ss3.11 already (some have even reported that 3.07 works fine also but i suggest stocking with the latest) than NO you don't have to go back to stock.

Example: if you are sitting in a chair (ROM slot) you can't swap chairs unless you are off of it and not using it (back to stock ROM) than you can change chairs (update ss version). If you did attempt it while in use, you would most likely come across some complications. (sorry if you don't agree with the example but it was just something i thought if at the moment:)

1) From stock or any ROM slot, you can use the dual boot utility in ap fb mode to flash the kernel of your choice
2) than be sure you are booting to the rom slot or stock ROM that is based off of the kernel you just flashed using the utility

Note: if you did attempt to boot into a ROM that uses the opposite kernel from what you flashed than you will have to
1) hard reboot (simultaneously holding volume down and and power for 10 seconds than press and hold power to start boot up) and
2) enter ss to either
3) flash the ROM based off of your kernel or if there is already a ROM flashed in a slot based off of the the kernel that is flashed, than
4) activate it and reboot

Sent from DDRMaxx using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

• The Persuader likes this

#256 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thank you Nukeruss,

Its Bubba

I'll take a shot. :) Really what it boils down to, once you have the correct version of safestrap installed you can go from JB to ICS from any rom. You don't need to go back to stock. If you're on JB and want to boot to an ICS rom, boot to fastboot mode and flash the ICS kernel using the utility. Then boot into safestrap and select the ICS rom you want to boot to (assuming you already have an ICS rom installed to one of the slots). If you don't have an ICS rom installed in any of the slots, install one to one of the slots, reboot, and you're running ICS again. If you're running an ICS rom and want to go to JB, it's the other way around. Boot to fastboot, flash the JB kernel, boot to safestrap and select a slot with JB on it and reboot. It doesn't matter what rom you're on when you flash the kernel. Fastboot and the rom you're running have no bearing on each other.
  • nukeruss and The Persuader like this

#257 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Twitter:nukeruss
  • Google+:nukeruss
  • LocationPalmyra, PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx XT912

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

That's about it. Anything that is ICS based (Rom Slot or Stock ROM Slot) requires you to have the ICS Kernel flashed. Any Jelly Bean based Rom Slots require you to have the JB Kernel flashed. Remember to keep your ROMs straight because there are some ROMS that are Jelly Bean but based off of the ICS Kernel. Good rule of thumb is that if you boot your phone and it goes to a black screen then you probably have the wrong kernel flashed. Just hard shutdown your phone (all three buttons at once for about 10 seconds and then either select a proper ROM in safestrap or flash the other kernel from fastboot mode.
  • The Persuader likes this

#258 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Just wondering if anyone is having issues with false unsuccessful delivery reports in texting while under the JB kernel?
Posted Image

#259 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Just wondering if anyone is having issues with false unsuccessful delivery reports in texting while under the JB kernel?

Not me

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

#260 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

I have tried just about everything to resolve and the issue persists. Its not a huge deal though

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users