Photo

Safestrap Restore Help?

maxx hd safestrap restore troubleshooting

Best Answer BIrONIC , 21 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Have you tried a different SD card? That's really odd that it keeps unmounting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yep. That's what my 'SD card unexpectedly removed' thread is about.

Anyway, after taking the card out, putting it into my computer, running check disk on it, copying the Safestrap old backup files to it, putting it back into the phone, and trying again, I finally got it done. Whew!

Old Safestrap backup has been restored, and now I'm happily back to where I was before the original Maxx HD got replaced. Yay!  :)

Thanks a lot for your help and advice in this process, guys.
I owe you.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#61 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

OK, cool.

I had one hiccup during the process so far (and the reason why I paused yesterday and am now picking it back up today)...

When it came time to install the 9.1.41 update, it would restart, and then start the update process, the green android guy came up and had the spinning geo shape in his belly, but then it only did that for a short time, and then put up the droid on his back with a red triangle....and then when it booted back to the OS, it gave me the 'Update failed' message on screen.

I went through the process a few times....re-downloading the update file, and restarting the update install process, and it kept hanging the same way.

Then, this morning, I wondered if it could have anything to do with Safestrap. So, I re-rooted, went into Safestrap within the OS, told it to uninstall, then re-unrooted, and rebooted just to be sure, and then tried the update again, and right now, it's going, and got way further than before.

So, hopefully that's it.

Oh.....just now, as I was typing, it restarted. So, I'm about to find out if it worked...

• shane1 likes this

#62 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Now it's optimizing apps. So, I think it worked...

• shane1 likes this

#63 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

OK, I finally have some time to dedicate to this, and I'm going to do this thing this morning.

Here are the steps I'm going to follow...

1. use the Razr HD Utility 1.10 to root (I'm still on 4.0.4)

2. use the Razr HD Utility 1.10 to install Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (and save a backup of su with it)

3. install Safestrap from apk file stored on SD

4. Upgrade all the way up to 4.1.1
(i.e. like TjNaps27 suggested

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

)

Once I'm back to a rooted state on 4.1.1...

5. Boot to Safestrap recovery

6. Attempt to restore my old Safestrap backup (from before my Maxx HD got replaced with a new one)

...and see how that goes.

I need to go do some laundry.....any last minute suggestions?

OK, now I'm back to 4.1.1
So, I'm going to re-root, install Safestrap, and move on with step 5...   :)

• shane1 likes this

#64 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:tjnaps27
  • Current Device(s):"Dan" Edition Razr Maxx HD

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Sounds like a plan. Lol. Although I'd wait till you're all the way to 4.1.1 rooted before you install safe strap. Sometimes if you install recover before taking an ota it might mess it up. Other than that. Looks good

I guess you missed this post. Lol

#65 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Just an FYI. Once you get safe strap installed. To a test backup right away so it will make the folder on your SD card called twrp /backups/(bunch of letters and numbers) so you know where to drop your old backup.

• neckchop and BIrONIC like this

#66 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

To make sure Safestrap is working, I did a backup of the way it is right now on 4.1.1, before attempting the restore.
That all seemed to work just fine. However, when I booted back up (so that I could copy the new 4.1.1 Safestrap to my computer for safe-keeping), I plugged the phone into USB, and only the internal storage showed up. I then checked and sure enough, the SD card was missing again like it was before (

).

So, I have to deal with that before I can move on to actually attempt the restore...

#67 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I guess you missed this post. Lol

Well....I did read it then, but when it came time for this today, I forgot. All's well on that one now. Thanks, bud.   :-)

Just an FYI. Once you get safe strap installed. To a test backup right away so it will make the folder on your SD card called twrp /backups/(bunch of letters and numbers) so you know where to drop your old backup.

Yep, I did that, but now I'm dealing with the SD card disappearing thing again.

#68 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Well, I'm stuck.
Now that I'm finally ready to try the restore of the old Safestrap backup, the SD card BS is really pissing me off.

Every time I try to copy the old backup files over to the SD card, it bonks and stops the copy operation, and it disappears again.

Then I go through the GD motions to unmount/remount/remove/reinsert/everything else, and then try the copy again (even like just one of the md5 files, and BONK!

WTF?!?!?

I hate this $h!t.

Next, I will take the SD card out and try to copy the files over to it while connected direct in my computer, and see how that goes...

#69 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

#70 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:07 PM   Best Answer

Yep. That's what

is about.

Anyway, after taking the card out, putting it into my computer, running check disk on it, copying the Safestrap old backup files to it, putting it back into the phone, and trying again, I finally got it done. Whew!

Old Safestrap backup has been restored, and now I'm happily back to where I was before the original Maxx HD got replaced. Yay!  :)

Thanks a lot for your help and advice in this process, guys.
I owe you.

• shane1 likes this

#71 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Congrats. Now you can unlock your boot loader! I'll be waiting for that thread. Lol
Glad it all got resolved.

• BIrONIC and shane1 like this

#72 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

haha, indeed.
Hopefully it will go smoothly, and I won't necessarily need a separate thread for that process.   :)

• shane1 likes this

#73 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

Well whatever questions you might have I'd be happy to help answer. New roms for the HD are popping up like crazy. All for unlocked boot loaders. Right now I'm running AOKP 4.2.2. And its pretty much fully functional. Everything except video recording. But hash is working on the kernel like a madman so it shouldn't be long now. There's also cm 10.1. Carbon. Pacman.
It's totally worth it. That is unless your SD card is shot. It obviously voids any and all warranties

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
  • neckchop, BIrONIC and shane1 like this

#74 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

I have one more question that relates to my Safestrap restore...

When I had the new, replacement Maxx HD, I went to Google Play and edited the entry in there for it to give it a name that makes sense to me (I always do this with a new device, so I can keep track of which ones I've had in there, and which is actually the 'current' device).

Well, after the Safestrap restore, I noticed that the edited entry for the new device disappeared, and it went back to using the entry for the original Maxx HD that got replaced.

So, is there some kind of unique ID that Google Play is looking at, and since I restored a backup from an older device, Google Play now thinks that is the device I'm connecting with?

If so, that's fine, but I just want to make sure it's not a problem, or something that I could/should change at all.

What you think?

#75 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

not sure i understand what you're talking about. you mean when you use your pc to go to google play?

if so, i don't think it's a big deal because i just checked mine on the pc and it shows 3 listings for the same phone.

i'm not sure what is goes by but i have 2 listings for a motorola droid razr hd on verizon and my current one just says xt926 and the carrier is unknown. probably because i'm on aokp 4.2.2.

on a side note, i flash my phone so much that i always have to delete saved devices in google music because every time i flash a new rom google music picks it up as a different device.

so it's not a big deal, should give you a date on last time used and just re-edit the nickname 

#76 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

not sure i understand what you're talking about. you mean when you use your pc to go to google play?

if so, i don't think it's a big deal because i just checked mine on the pc and it shows 3 listings for the same phone.

i'm not sure what is goes by but i have 2 listings for a motorola droid razr hd on verizon and my current one just says xt926 and the carrier is unknown. probably because i'm on aokp 4.2.2.

on a side note, i flash my phone so much that i always have to delete saved devices in google music because every time i flash a new rom google music picks it up as a different device.

so it's not a big deal, should give you a date on last time used and just re-edit the nickname 

OK, here's the deal...

Yes. I'm talking about when I go into the Google Play store in a web browser on my Windows computer.
Now, just to make sure we're on the same page, this really isn't a problem for me.....I'm just wanting to understand how things work...

I took a screenshot of what it looks like in my 'My Devices' right now...

114.72KB   10 downloads

From the bottom of the list, here is the history...

Bionic5
This was my 4th replacement Bionic device.

TempLoanerBestBuy20... (Nov 17)
This was the loaner I had between Bionic5 and Bionic6.

Bionic6
This was the 5th replacement Bionic device (yes, the 6th Bionic that I had, when including the original Bionic)

TempLoanerBestBuy20... (Mar 30)
This was the loaner I had when my final Bionic went out for repair/replacement.

MaxxHD1
This was the first Maxx HD that I got, as a once-and-for-all replacement of the POS Bionic line of broken, worthless devices.

Now....the thing is....when the first MaxxHD went out for repair/replacement, and I got a loaner, I renamed that loaner. However, in this list, the one I had between last Bionic and original Maxx HD is now gone from the list.

Also, when I connected the new, replacement Maxx HD, I renamed it to 'MaxxHD2', and from that point on, all of the others (including MaxxHD1 and MaxxHD2) were in the list, and I only had MaxxHD2 checked so that only that one would show up other places in the Play Store.

Then, once I successfully restored the Safestrap backup (which I saved originally on the first Maxx HD), the entry for MaxxHD2 disappeared, and the check mark automatically went back to MaxxHD1.

Again, this is not problematic for me in the least. I'm just curious...

Is this because the Play Store is paying attention to some kind of unique ID somewhere in the phone's system, and that unique ID was transferred to my new MaxxHD via the Safestrap backup and restore process?

#77 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

To make a long story short. Yes. Its your build.prop file located in the root of your system folder.
I must ask .... What was so important about this back up? Because you really should be checking out all the 4.2 ROMs and have unlocked your boot loader by now :lol:

• BIrONIC likes this

#78 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

To make a long story short. Yes. Its your build.prop file located in the root of your system folder.
I must ask .... What was so important about this back up? Because you really should be checking out all the 4.2 ROMs and have unlocked your boot loader by now :lol:

build.prop
OK. By any chance, can that file simply be moved from one system to another without any other monkeying around or any hard to the receiving system?

Why the Backup?
Well, it is what it is. I had my nice, new Maxx HD all set the way I wanted it (after living with the hell of the POS Bionic for over a year), and then, when it needed to be replaced, I just wanted to have a backup in order to get my replacement device back to exactly where the original Maxx HD was when it got replaced.

Nothing 'special' necessarily, other than the fact that I didn't want to have to go back through all of what it took to get it to the point I wanted it.

ROMs
Well, I have considered this route, but it's never been enough of an interest for me to do it. I'm satisfied with using the device with just how I am able to modify it myself.

#79 marleyinoc

marleyinoc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Twitter:marleyinoc
  • Google+:+RicCrockett
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 and Bionic on WiFi

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

Bironic, I'd test a few devices just bone stock and see how those work out. I'm curious as to how the device list plays out in that scenario.

__________________sent from my bionic with dub_________________

#80 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Bironic, I'd test a few devices just bone stock and see how those work out. I'm curious as to how the device list plays out in that scenario.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maxx hd, safestrap, restore, troubleshooting

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users